Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sacromonte

We finally got our schedule of events for this semester, so now I can start planning my weekend trips!! There's so many places to go, it's going to be hard to choose.

It was a lazy morning, aside from looking at potential travel destinations I went on a walk with Javier and Ana at the canal near our house.



After lunch Nicole and I met our group at Plaza Nueva for our excursion to Sacromonte, a religious site high up in the hills. Everyone in the group was under the impression that we would be hiking up, however our teacher didn't want to walk so she paid for us to go up in taxis. That was fine with me, it would've been quite the hike. The views at the top were spectacular and would be worth the hike on a nice day!
Sacromonte (note: the storm is coming!)

Alhambra 




The inside of Sacramonte was cool as well. There was a church and a lot of old documents and paintings. Pictures were prohibited but we were allowed to take photos in the courtyards. Our guide gave us a 45 minute talk about the history of Sacramonte, however it was in Spanish and I was way to cold to pay attention (it was cold and rainy, and we were outside). Therefore, I don't really know what it's significance is exactly, but it was very pretty.
Courtyard at Sacromonte 








After our tour we took the scenic walk back into the city, about a 35 minute walk downhill. The views were spectacular and definitely worth the walk in the cold rain! We on the same road as Camborio (the discoteca I went to a few nights ago) so there were fantastic views of the Alhambra.

It got a little chilly on the walk back...
Stunning!
This was a house on the walk home, covered in flower pots. Pretty cool, eh?
What a wonderful walk back, I would hike up again when it gets nicer out
The neighborhood we passed while walking back to the center of Granada
It was a lazy night at the house, I kept warm under the blankets in the living room and watched The Proposal in Spanish on tv with the family. It was great, for once I actually knew what was going on because I had seen it so many times already!! Tomorrow is Monday, that means class again, so hopefully I fall asleep quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment