Friday, January 11, 2013

I Have Arrived!

I arrived in Granada at 10AM (4AM Mass time). I passed out on my flight from Madrid to Granada, I was exhausted. The Granada airport is super small but very cute. My Spanish Mom and Dad picked Nicole and I up, they are really nice! The mom, Beatriz, doesn't speak English, but is very understanding of my broken speech. The dad, Javier, knows some words, but not a lot. It's really hard to talk to them right now, I have so much to say but cannot say it. They took us back to their apartment, the streets are really tiny and the garage to the apartment is underground, it's crazy! We unloaded our bags and Nicole, Beatriz, and I squeezed into the worlds smallest elevator with all our luggage and travelled to the third floor.

The apartment is really pretty. Nicole and I got our own rooms, but we opted to share a room so we could be together. We have really nice built in closets and a little balcony where the family dries their laundry. We also have our own bathroom. I was very confused when I walked in for the first time and say two toilets across from each other. Turns out we have a bidet, I dont ever plan on using that.

                                                                       Our Closets

                                                                       My Bed
                                                                       Our Room
                                                                    Our Bathroom
                                                                            Bidet!!

Our host mom prepared us an afternoon snack when we got to the house, we had bread and ham with fresh orange juice. It was really yummy. I then unpacked some of my things and passed out from 12-6. Hopefully I can still sleep tonight!

Our host dad gave us lentil soup with potato and sausage for dinner, it wasn't too bad. We also had a salad with oranges, cod, and onions; I just ate the oranges.  I also got to meet one of the daughters, Ana, who is 9 years old. She is very shy and I want to talk to her, but it's very difficult for me to speak in Spanish. I already feel myself getting a little better though, so I'm sure by the end of the 5 months here I'll be much better. Till then, I'll be giving my host family blank stares and hope for the best. I basically just nod and say "si". Thankfully everyone in the family is super understanding and want to help us, they just have to repeat things a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment