Friday, January 11, 2013

First Night in the House

I got to Skype Paul tonight!!! I'm really happy that my wifi is working and I can talk to people at home again.

Nicole and I discovered that the ham we have been eating (jamon cerano) is freshly cut off a pig's leg which sits on the kitchen counter. It tastes good, but realizing that really freaked me out. Dinner was good, we had more orange salad, ham with bread and olive oil, meatballs, and a fried chicken-goopy looking thing (I didn't like that so much). No surprise, I ate an orange for dessert.

Jamon Serrano, a favorite here in Andalucia


After dinner we spent the night on the couches watching a Spanish movie and talking with the family. I am in love with their living room area. There is a tv against the wall, and then three couches forming a square, with a table in the middle of it all, The coolest part is that there is a huge tablecloth/blanket over the table, and there's a heater under the table, so you get a heated seating area when you cover yourself with the blanket. It's really cool, I will post a picture. I told them all about the US, Javier was very intrigued by the 50 state quarters that I brought him. I couldn't understand a lot of the movie, but I found it funny that the movie was originally in English, and there are Spanish translators that speak instead. I tried to read lips but that didn't work as planned.

The warm couch area, my love!


I also learned that Beatriz currently doesn't work but is studying to be a lawyer and will be done with schooling in a year. Javier owns a plastics company in Granada. They have a second house near the factory, about a half hour from their apartment in the city. They showed me on google maps, it looks very nice and is surrounded by green fields. They said they would take us there some day.

I'm hoping to start exploring the city tomorrow! I know Beatriz is taking Nicole and I to the store to buy shampoo and other toiletries. Hasta manana!

No comments:

Post a Comment